Kailash Mansarovar Yatra is a holy tour from Pashupatinath temple in Kathmandu to Mt Kailash in Tibet. Located in the extreme remote region of Western Tibet, 6,714 meters, Mount Kailash, where the solitude, clean air and spirituality are at its peak. This site is sacred to four religions, the Hindus, Buddhists, Jain and the followers of Bon which is the ancient shamanistic religion of Tibet. The parikrama/kora or circumference of Mount Kailash is an essential part of your overall journey to Mount Kailash.
According to Hinduism, Lord Shiva Resides on top of Mount Kailash, where he sits in a state of meditation along with his wife Parvati. Mount Kailash is believed to be the ultimate destination of souls and the spiritual center of the world. Alike Mount Kailash, Lake Mansarovar is the abode of purity. It is a place of pilgrimage, attracting Hindus from all over the world. Taking a bath in Mansarovar and drinking its water is believed to cleanse all sins committed over a hundred lifetimes. Those who have visited the holy spots of Lake Mansarovar and Mount Kailash carry with them a memory of a lifetime which remind them of the presence of Lord Shiva in their lives that gives them a feeling of peace and tranquility.
- 4 night's accommodation at a 4 star hotel in Kathmandu on twin share basis with breakfast
- Farewell Dinner
- Accommodation in Tibetan lodges or tents (Based on 6-8 people per room)
- All Vegetarian Meals while on Yatra
- English Speaking Nepali Tour Leader and Tibetan Guide
- Tibet Visa & All Permit Fees
- Yaks & Yak men for luggage during Parikrama
- Ground transfers in Tibet using Luxury Bus
- Sherpa staff (trekking guides, porters, cook, etc)
- Oxygen cylinders
- Specially designed Kailash Yatra T-Shirt
- Down Jacket (returned upon completion of journey)
- Duffle Bag (returned upon completion of journey)
Cost Does Not Include:
- Airfares from Home – Kathmandu – Home
- All beverages, photography charges, web usage, and Telephone Calls
- Extra nights in Tibetan lodges (except mentioned in itinerary)
- Extra nights in Kathmandu for early arrival (must arrive two days early for VISA formalities)
- Travel Insurance of Client
- Extra cost in the event of landslide for hiring additional transportation and porters
- All Lunches while in Kathmandu and dinners except mentioned in the itinerary
- Horse rental while on Parikrama (approx Cost US $350) or personal porter (Approx Cost US $200)
- Emergency evacuation costs (cost for rental of Land Cruiser) (medical and rescue insurance is recommended). We advise you to purchase insurance with zero deductible.
- Any additional meals in Kathmandu except mentioned in the itinerary
- Staff and Driver Tips (10% of the Yatra cost is customary)
Note: Foreign Passport Holders need to arrive Kathmandu 3 Working days before the fixed dates (Day 01 in the itinerary) for the Chinese Visa (Saturday and Sunday is not considered as working days).
Day 01 : 1st September: We will have a group meeting to prepare for the Yatra and collect Down jacket, and Duffle Bags. Overnight in Kathmandu.
Day 02: 2nd September: Pashupatinath Darshan, Boudhnath Stupa and Patan Visit After Breakfast, we will depart at approx 9am to Pashupatinath temple. Proceed for sightseeing tour to Boudhnath and Patan Darbar square. Lunch on your own. Final Preparation for Yatra, shopping, etc Dinner on your own. Overnight in Kathmandu
Day 03: 3rd September: Kathmandu to Kerung (11,482 Feet Elevation) Travel Time 6-7 hours
We begin our drive to Kerung very early in the morning. We need to drive 154km to reach Rasuwagadi. From here we drive for an additional 23 km to reach Kerung. Since we pass through Langtang National Park, we are required to deal with a number of check-posts. Overnight stay in Kerung.
Day 04: 4th September: Rest day in Kerung to acclimatize
After breakfast we will take a small walk around Kerung village. Spending an extra day in Kerung will help us acclimatize to the high altitude, thus preparing us for the journey ahead. Overnight at the same guesthouse.
Day 05: 5th September: Drive from Kerung to Saga (14,409 Feet Elevation) Travel Time 5 -6 hours (with Lunch break)
Enjoy the view of snowcapped mountains; we will cross the high pass of Lalung La Pass (5000m) where a magnificent view of high Himalayas can be seen such as Gaurishanker, Shishapangma, and Langtang Himal. We will be crossing the holy river Bhramaputra. Overnight at hotel in Saga. Hot Shower Houses available here
Day 06: 6th September: Drive from Saga to Mansarovar (14,954 Feet Elevation) Travel Time 6 - 7Hours (370km)
Today is the most auspicious day for all of us as we will see the first glimpse of holy Kailash and sacred Lake Mansarovar. A lifetime achievement, here we will perform a holy dip, Relax and explore around the Mansarovar area. Overnight in a tent/camp or Guesthouse
Day 07: 7th September: Darchen via Visiting Raksas Lake
Early Morning Havan Puja on the Lake. After Lunch, We will pack up and drive to Darchen via Visiting Raksas Lake. Overnight at Darchen Guesthouse. We will pack our back pack and repack our luggage for Parikrama Days. One Duffle bag per two people is allowed.
Day 08: 8th September: Parikrama to Dehara Puk (16,404 Feet Elevation) (6-8 Hours walk on fairly flat trail)
Today, it feels as if the heavens had opened up for us and allowed us to peek inside the world of gods and goddesses. We will walk 18 kilometers through the valley guided by Holy Ganges River on our left and shadowed by Mount Kailash on our right. The feeling of today can only be experienced by one and not described…Have your camera handy to capture amazing views of Mt. Kailash. Overnight in a guesthouse or tent
Day 09: 9th September: Hike to Charansprash.
Charansprash – where we will have an auspicious opportunity to be as close as possible to Mt. Kailash. We will walk to touch the Holy Mount Kailash and receive ultimate blessings from Lord Shiva. After breakfast, we will depart to hike up to 21,000 feet elevation toward Mt. Kailash. Half way up the hike we will encounter snow. Today is a 8-9 hour hike. We will return back to guesthouse in Dherapuk for an overnight. This is an optional hike for all. For those who wish to stay and rest at the guesthouse may do so.
Day 10: 10th September: Parikrama continues to Dolma-La Pass (19,500 Feet Elevation) (10-12 hour hike up and down and through the valley) - Hardest but Holiest day of our pilgrimage Yatra with Dolma-La (pass) of 19,500 ft between two valleys
Yamasthal should be crossed to reach the Shiva-sthal while your steps go closer to the pass. Once you reach the top, just do the holiest offering and sit down for meditation. Parvati-stal and Gauri Kund are on the way. By the late afternoon you will arrive to Zuthal Puk (the cave of Miracles. Overnight in tents
Day 11: 11th September: Parikrama ends and drive to Saga
(After walking 3 hours, all the driving crew will be waiting your arrival. We will continue our drive to Saga and arrive by Evening.)
Day 12: 12th September: Saga to Kerung
We retrace our journey back to Kerung from Saga. Kerung is a border town where we will spend the night. Overnight at a hotel in Kerung.
Day 13: 13th September: Kerung to Kathmandu
We clear our customs in Kerung before driving back to Kathmandu. Overnight at Yatri Suites and Spa Hotel in Kathmandu.
Day 14: 14th September: Buffer day in Kathmandu
You may choose to do additional site seeing on this day or simply rest.
Day 15: 15th September: Departure flight home. You will be dropped to airport at your flight time
FIXED TOUR DEPARTURE DATE ON 1st SEPTEMBER 2020
Temperature and Weather
From May through September in Tibet are generally dry and sunny, with more precipitation in August. Daytime temperatures can be as high as 72 °F with the average daily temperature of 50 °F. However, the sun is much more intense at higher altitudes making it feel much hotter. At this time of year there is also an incredible drop in temperature from early afternoon to evening. The temperature at night will drop as low as 14 °F to 32°F at altitudes of 16,404 feet, which is our highest camp during the Parikrama.
Pack clothing for both extremes of climate and temperature. While driving to Mt. Kailash, it will be warm inside the vehicle and light clothing will be required. However, as soon as you step out of the vehicle warm clothing will be required to keep off the cold wind of the Tibetan Plateau. Evening will be generally cold and warm clothing will be required. List of items to bring is provided below in the packing list.
- Nepal Visa is stamped in Kathmandu Airport upon arrival. Please check Department of Immigration for Nepal Visa
- Chinese Visa is stamped in Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu. Your original passport with photographs are required at least 3 working days prior to tour departure date
- Tibet Travel Permits will be required. For obtaining these group permits you will have to send us the colored scan copy of your passport at least 25 days prior to tour departure date.
- 90-150 days prior to departure date: full payment refund except non-refundable deposit:
- 45-90 days prior to departure date: 75% of your payment refund except the non-refundable deposit.
- If cancellation takes place less than 45 days prior to departure due to client’s personal problems, all previously paid amount(s) will be forfeited.
Still cameras and video cameras are allowed in China. Taking photos or videos at any Chinese Government area (Army camp, Chinese Govt. home etc) is prohibited.
Recommended Packing List
- 4 pairs of pants (1 Cargo, 1 jogging or Yoga, 1 windproof- waterproof - breathable, 1 Ski Pants)
- 1 or 2 long sleeves Shirts (Fleece or Hoodies)
- 2 short sleeves (tees or polos)
- One Towel (light weight), one warm Scarf, a Shawl
- 2 pairs of warm hand gloves (one warm and soft – one water resistant/Ski Gloves)
- One pair of Gore-Tex, Ankle support Hiking Boots (should be 1 ½ size bigger than your foot measure)
- One pair of Sneakers or Tennis Shoes and/or One Pair of sandal with back strap
- 8 Under garments, 4 small and large ziplock bags, and 4 X- large garbage bags, 10 plastic grocery bags
- One Wind breaker jacket with a hood( water resistant/proof)
- Two Thermals (two legging and two top) (microfiber thermals are great and comes in black)
- One set of warm Pajamas for night sleep
- 2 Combination Locks for your luggage’s
- Small Back Pack (Day Pack) (Water proof or with rain cover)
- Digital Camera with video capability, I-pod or Mp3 player, I-pod Speakers (Charging available up to Saga)(bring Asia plug adaptor for plug ins)
- Headlamp or small Flash light with extra batteries AND UV protective Sunglasses with retainer (Thread/chain)
- Slim Thermos for hot water AND a plastic durable water bottle (small)
- Camel-Bak (small one or 2 liter) for drinking water during Parikrama (optional)
- 2 Trekking Poles to be used during Parikrama (optional, but recommended)
- 4 copies of Passport Photos (keep photos and passport in small zipbag to protect from rain)
- Note book journal and a pen, Your Favorite book to read, Swiss army Knife, Travel Sewing kit
- Travel size Sun block, Tooth paste and brush, Travel Size Soap, Travel Size Lotion, Travel size tissue packs (10 per person), Wide tooth comb, Lip balm, Travel Size Shampoo, Hair Moisturizer or oil, hand sanitizer, and Deodorant.
First Aid and Medical Kits
Medicines Consulting with your physician is highly recommended and bring the medications as per his/ her advice. Only bring enough to last for travel days: your prescribed medicines, cough medicine, cough drops, pain medicine (Tylenol/Advil) Imodium, Ciprofloxacin(Rx – Traveler’s diarrhea), Emergen-C, Visine Eye Drops, multivitamins, band aid, Neosporin, Vicks Vapor Rub, Muscle Relaxer Cream, Motion sickness and high altitude sickness medicine (Diamox is Highly Recommended which is for altitude sickness)
Bring your favorite snacks like biscuits, Hard Candy, Chocolates, dry sweets, dry fruits, and Nasto
Pack all items in large duffel bag or suitcase as per airline size. In Kathmandu, Duffel bags will be provided to you from the company. In Kathmandu pack your necessities for your journey in a large Duffle bag and leave behind your Suitcase at the hotel in Kathmandu.
Information required for this trip is provided here. If you want to consult us regarding any aspect of the trip, please feel free to email us or give us a call at +977 9841414582